NOAA’S Sentinel Site Program, Hawai’i Cooperative: Climate change – from observation to stewardship, Hawai’i
Summary / Description
The NOAA Sentinel Site Program, Hawaiian Islands Cooperative is working to coordinate NOAA offices and to build partnerships with other federal and local partners to address issues related to climate change. (http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/sentinelsites/)
The Hawaiian Islands Sentinel Site Cooperative is a compilation of sites that includes Midway and French Frigate Shoals in the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument in the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, He‘eia on the island of O‘ahu, and a portion of Hawai‘i Island.
In addition, time will be spent assisting with NOAA’s Habitat Blueprint, which is similar to the Sentinel Sites Program, having merged efforts on Hawai‘i Island, but instead of focusing solely on climate change it is also focused on habitat restoration.
The Sentinel Site Program/Habitat Blueprint are innovative efforts that cover NOAA’s entire expertise portfolio – from science to management to outreach – by determining what work is being done, where gaps exist, and what can be done to address those gaps. In furtherance of the goal of addressing the risk of climate change, NOAA is working with other federal, state, and local partners to bring to bear a wide range of expertise and resources on the issue.
The internship will entail helping to develop the Hawai‘i efforts and to make them a success. Specific work may include assisting with:
- Supporting meetings to gather gaps and document work taking place within the Cooperative;
- Working with resource managers to identify needs and opportunities for NOAA to assist;
- Assisting Cooperative sites with identifying solutions through the development of mapping products using GIS;
- Identifying management needs and coordinating the scientific work to address those needs.
- Ability to multi-task and pay attention to details;
- Good oral and written communication skills;
- Working knowledge of ArcGIS;
- Be a team player;
Internship Location: NOAA offices, Honolulu, HI
Intern Supervisor: Douglas.harper / Number of slots available: 1